Friday, September 12, 2008

The Long Break - A Review

The Long Break!

The long break I took was purely on accident and coincidence. I have been overloaded with job and personal commitments. That is life for you. However, now that I resumed fully, there is the need for us to look back at the pending projects in the blog. I wish to apologised to readers for my long silence and absence. Lets look at the projects one by one:

The Database Project

This project is almost 90% completion. I have obtained about 20 of the School’s files for data input into the database. All the related forms for data input had been designed, including queries and reports templates. I posted a sizeable number of the 20 files collected, and Godwilling, may finish posting the rest by this weekend. There is no specific date for commissioning the project, I only let the School authorities aware of it. What remains are just finish up, or rather putting finishing touches to the database.

I equally wish to write a complete manual in Hausa language for the proposed users of the database. Also, a visit to the school recently revealed that the School’s computer is in order. Though the machine is running Windows XP, the office program is 2007. So there is little problem with regards to porting the application. This is just a little update, more are on the way.

My Python Lessons

The Python Programming language I started learning some 5 months ago seems to snatch my entire periods, especially these days. The book, Learning Python, written by the famous Python programmer, Mark Lutz, is very interesting. I am presently in chapter 18 – Modules. The python language is simple, flexible and easy to port to different platforms. After a journey through the different chapters of the book, I was able to cover enough, if not everything about elementary programming in the language. To mention a few, I finished the lessons on data types or Objects – Numbers, Strings, Lists, Dictionary, Tuples and Files (open). I equally of recent, covered the different Python Statements and Expressions, Functions and Scope, and presently studying Modules, the fundamentals of all.

Within this period of my absence here, I discovered other python stuff that are directly related to the language, like the numeric extensions called NumPy, and other capabilities of the language with regards to processing numbers, image processing and how the python language can be ported to the Mobile phone as a platform for programming standalone applications. It is indeed a very interesting experience.

After Learning Python, I hope to reach out to other books written by the same author, like Python Programming, where he detailed python’s capabilities in application programming. Other books to looked at includes Dive into Python, and Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner.

In all, my little experience with Python makes me grow in love with the language, and I have finally made up my mind that Python has come to stay with me, FOREVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment